How to Best Care for your Pump Parts
Hey Mama! Make sure to take good care of your pump parts for optimal performance. Sanitizing the parts correctly will guard against bacteria and potential infections in both baby and/or mom. The Stage Two: Back to Work Queen & Baby Box comes with steam bags to sanitize your pump parts. This extra step is important, and achievable even in the office.
According to the CDC's new guidelines, follow these steps to best care for your pump parts:
- Wash your hands before using your pump, and use disinfectant wipes to clean the outside of your pump (The Stage Two Box includes these wipes).
- After every use, take apart the pump parts and rinse them under running water. Don't put them directly in the sink!
- Clean your pump parts as soon as possible in hot, soapy water with brush used only for cleaning pump parts, or in the dishwasher.
- Rinse in fresh water (don't put them back in the same basin or soapy water).
- Air dry on a clean dish towel, but don't rub the parts with the towel as this could spread germs.
- Rinse your brush, and leave it to air dry. Clean your brush at least every few days.
- If you're using the dishwasher, place on a hot water and heated drying cycle, or a sanitize cycle. Wash your hands before taking out the parts, and allow them to air dry.
- Store items in a clean, protected area only after they're completely dry.
(tips originally published in Parents Magazine)